DIY Door Painting Tips and Techniques
Doors are a ubiquitous part of any home, and they serve multiple purposes, both aesthetic and practical. Not only do doors help you to visualise the delineation between different living spaces in a home, but they can also help to add a touch of visual appeal to your home. One of the best ways that you can refresh the look of your home and give it a new life is by repainting your doors. In this post, we take a closer look at some DIY door painting tips and techniques that you can use when painting your doors.
Door Painting Techniques
When painting a door, using the proper techniques is essential to ensure that the outcome is visually appealing and long-lasting. Here are some techniques that you can incorporate into your door painting to achieve the best results:
- Surface Preparation: Before painting, cleaning your door’s surface can ensure that the paint is able to better adhere to the surface. This also ensures that the paint is able to be applied evenly and the final result looks aesthetically pleasing.
- Masking: To avoid getting paint on other surfaces, ensure that you cover the perimeter of the door that you are painting with masking tape. Cover any floor surfaces with cloths or tarp as well to ensure that paint droplets don’t end up staining your floors.
- Using Sufficient Paint: Using an amount of paint that is just right will ensure that the paint doesn’t drop or run.
Door Painting Tips
Here are some tips that you can take into consideration together with the right techniques to ensure that you achieve a flawless finish for your doors:
- Choosing the Right Paint: Different surfaces respond differently to different types of paint. Thus, choosing the right type of paint for the surface of your door can ensure a more even distribution of paint and a cleaner application.
- Applying Multiple Coats: Applying multiple coats and allowing each coat to dry completely before applying the next one can allow for a smoother finish on your doors.
- Cleaning and Maintaining Regularly: Even after you have finished painting your doors, it is essential for you to establish a regular cleaning and maintenance routine. As part of this routine, identify any scratches and chips in the paint and remedy them immediately with touch-up paint to ensure that your doors don’t end up looking worn out over time.
Time for a Complete Door Makeover?
If the doors in your home are old or otherwise in need of a makeover, it might be time to consider replacing them instead of repainting them. If you’re looking to have your doors replaced, Valley Windows can help. We are the number one manufacturer and supplier of custom windows and doors. Choose from our large selection of timber and aluminium doors in a variety of styles, including sliding doors, bifold doors and much more. Visit our showroom or contact us today for a free consultation on all your door and window needs!
Image Source: Image by Racool_studio on Freepik